** Scroll to the bottom of this page to see our daily homework postings **
Due to the high of amount of severe food allergies in our school and in our classroom, it is very important that all ingredients are checked on the snacks before you send them in with your child . If the food is "made in a facility that processes tree nuts or peanuts" your child will not be permitted to eat it in school. Please check all of the labels that you purchase for school snacks or lunch. This is something we are taking very seriously.
Thank you for your kind consideration in this matter
and the safety of all children.
Hello! My name is Pam Tortorici (pronounced tor-tor-ee-see) and this is my ninth year teaching first grade teacher at St. Thomas the Apostle for class 1-B! Your child is about to set off on journey through an amazing year, but it will be a little bit different from what you may have known from Kindergarten. Here are a few things to keep in mind to ensure that our year together is a successful one as a first grade leader at St. Thomas the Apostle …
- Check your child’s homework every night . All of the first grade homework will be written in their homework notebook and posted on our class webpage. If your child is absent or you are unsure of the homework for the day, I will be updating our class website with the daily assignments by 2:30pm. Please sign the appropriate HW page, so that I know that you have viewed what your child’s homework was for that day. Even if your child attends After Care, please check to make sure the homework is completed and signed. Whether or not your child completed writing their homework assignment in the morning , please double check our website for any last minute updates or changes.
- Make sure your child has at least 3 sharpened pencils and an eraser for class each day. It's great to always begin with the end in mind! How can we plan and prepare our day without the proper tools? Be sure to check your child’s backpack for any supplies you may need to replenish throughout the week. It’s always good to keep a pencil case at home filled with the same supplies your child has at school, just in case!
- Remember to bring a nut-free snack to enjoy during the day. Remember: nut-free means not traces of nuts of any kind (almonds, hazelnuts, tree nuts, etc). Keep your body and mind clean with a balanced snack such a yogurt or fruit! Don’t forget to bring a washcloth, fork or a spoon if you need it for snack or lunch! Due to the HIGH AMOUNT of allergies in our school, it is very important that ALL INGREDIENTS are checked on the snacks you send it. If the food is "made in a plant that processes tree nuts or peanuts" your child will not be permitted to eat it in school. Thank you for your cooperation in this matter.
- BIRTHDAYS — ** Due to the high amount of allergies in school and for the safety of our students, goodie bags for birthdays and holidays, both, inedible and edible, are not permitted unless authorized by the teacher. We will use an alternate way of celebrating these occassions such as with dress down, no homework passes, or a prize from the principal. Thank you! **
- Please make sure your child’s name is labeled on anything that is to be brought back and forth to school. Try writing it on a tag or inside pocket of the item to ensure an easier find if lost. This includes envelopes, too!
- Any money coming into school should have your child’s name on it, as well as how much money is being given and what it is for. Please put any money in a labeled envelope. Students (and teachers) are not always sure what the dollar bill in their folder is for if it isn’t labeled in an envelope...and post-its often fall off.
- Let your child know if there are any notes that need to be handed in so that no deadlines will be missed (notes for the teacher, main office, etc). This includes any change in transportation for the end of the day and monthly lunch forms. With that in mind, please be sure to keep me updated of your current and best way to contact you (including email address).
- We are all a team! — Positive reinforcement is important in making sure that each child knows that they can accomplish anything!! Teachers and parents want the same thing for these children, and that is what is best for the child! No two students are the same, so let's work together to make your child learn to the best of their ability!
I look forward to a fun and safe new school year!!
***REMEMBER: If you need to change your child’s mode of transportation, please send a note in with your child, call the office, or email me. ***
Monday - Digital Technology with Mrs. Delfino
*Tuesday - Gym with Mr. Small
Wednesday - No Special
*Thursday - No Special
Friday - Spanish with Mr. Tobin (AM), Art/Music with Mrs. Frank (PM)
**Please bring a washcloth for them to eat on **
Monday, October 14, 2019 - No School
Tuesday, October 15, 2019
Spelling - Do activity #9. Study words for test on Friday.
Religion - Reread chapter 1 and study guides for test tomorrow.
Math - P59 and P60. Study math facts for timed drill on November 1st.
Wednesday, October 16, 2019
Spelling - Do activity #8. Study words for test on Friday.
Math - P61 and P62. Study math facts for timed drill on November 1st.
Thursday, October 17, 2019
Spelling - Study words for test tomorrow.
Math - P63 and P64. Study math facts for timed drill on November 1st.
Students may dress down in PINK for breast cancer awareness. Please bring in a donation of $1.
Friday, October 18, 2019 - DRESS DOWN DAY
Correct, sign, and return test folders on Monday.
Math - Study math facts for timed drill on November 1st.
Reading - Study Your Turn pages 31-33 and 38 for test on Monday.
PARENTS: Please allow your child to bring any books they brought home, back to school the following day. We will begin sending books home to have you cover them with clear contact or liner paper, however, we will use the same books the following day. Students should always return to school with their homework book, homework folder and any workbooks or readers they brought home the night before. Any books you were unable to cover, we will send back another night for you to do so. Thank you!