**Parents - please scroll down for tonight's homework**
Due to the HIGH AMOUNT of allergies in our school, it is very important that ALL INGREDIENTS are checked on the snacks you send it. If the food is "made in a plant that processes tree nuts or peanuts" your child will not be permitted to eat it in school. Thank you for your cooperation in this matter.
WELCOME TO 1B!
With Mrs. Tortorici
Hello! My name is Pam Tortorici (pronounced tor-tor-ee-see) and this is my eigth year teaching first grade teacher at St. Thomas the Apostle for class 1-B! Your child is about to set off on journey through an amazing year, but it will be a little bit different from what you may have known from Kindergarten. Here are a few things to keep in mind to ensure that our year together is a successful one as a first grade leader at St. Thomas the Apostle …
- Check your child’s homework every night . All of the first grade homework will be written in their homework notebook and posted on our class webpage. If your child is absent or you are unsure of the homework for the day, I will be updating our class website with the daily assignments by 2:30pm. Please sign the appropriate HW pages, so that I know that you have viewed what your child’s homework was for that day. Even if your child attends After Care, please check to make sure the homework is completed and signed. Whether or not your child completed writing their homework assignment in the morning , please double check our website for any last minute updates or changes.
- Make sure your child has at least 3 sharpened pencils and an eraser for class each day. It's great to always begin with the end in mind! How can we plan and prepare our day without the proper tools? Be sure to check your child’s backpack for any supplies you may need to replenish throughout the week. It’s always good to keep a pencil case at home filled with the same supplies your child has at school, just in case!
- Remember to bring a nut-free snack to enjoy during the day. Remember: nut-free means not traces of nuts of any kind (almonds, hazelnuts, tree nuts, etc). Keep your body and mind clean with a balanced snack such a yogurt or fruit! Don’t forget to bring a washcloth, fork or a spoon if you need it for snack or lunch!
- BIRTHDAYS — ** Due to the high amount of allergies in school and for the safety of our students, goodie bags for birthdays and holidays, both, inedible and edible, are not permitted unless authorized by the teacher. We will use an alternate way of celebrating these occassions such as with dress down, no homework passes, or a prize from the principal. Thank you! **
- Please make sure your child’s name is labeled on anything that is to be brought back and forth to school. Try writing it on a tag or inside pocket of the item to ensure an easier find if lost. This includes envelopes, too!
- Any money coming into school should have your child’s name on it, as well as how much money is being given and what it is for. Please put any money in a labeled envelope. Students (and teachers) are not always sure what the dollar bill in their folder is for if it isn’t labeled in an envelope...and post-its often fall off.
- Let your child know if there are any notes that need to be handed in so that no deadlines will be missed (notes for the teacher, main office, etc). This includes any change in transportation for the end of the day and monthly lunch forms. With that in mind, please be sure to keep me updated of your current and best way to contact you (including email address).
- We are all a team! — Positive reinforcement is important in making sure that each child knows that they can accomplish anything!! Teachers and parents want the same thing for these children, and that is what is best for the child! No two students are the same, so let's work together to make your child learn to the best of their ability!
I look forward to a fun and safe new school year!!
***REMEMBER: If you need to change your child’s mode of transportation, please send a note in with your child, call the office, or email me. ***
1B Specials Schedule : PLEASE NOTE THAT WE DO NOT KNOW OUR PERMANENT SCHEDULE (INCLUDING GYM DAYS), HOWEVER, ONCE I KNOW, I WILL SEND A NOTICE HOME. THANK YOU FOR YOUR PATIENCE AND UNDERSTANDING.
Monday - Music/Art with Mrs. Frank
Tuesday - (Students do not have specials on this day)
Wednesday - Music/Art with Mrs. Frank
Thursday - Gym with Mr. Small
(Please come to school in your gym uniform and sneakers)
Friday - Spanish with Senor Tobin
Monday, October 15, 2018
1. Reading – Study completed Your Turn pages 31-40 and extra practice packets for test tomorrow.
2. Math - P57 and P58.
Tuesday, October 16, 2018
1. Reading – Read for 15 minutes from a book of your choice.
2. Math - P59 and P60. Study your math facts for timed drill on November 1st.
3. Tomorrow is 8th grade Ring Day. Please dress in full uniform.
Wednesday, October 17, 2018
1. Spelling- Do activity #1 for words you got wrong on pretest. Test on Tuesday.
2. Math- Complete and return worksheet. Study math facts for 5 minute drill on November 1st.
3. Reading-Complete and return worksheet.
4. Gym tomorrow. Wear gym uniform and sneakers.
We will have a dress down day on Monday, October 22nd. Kindly send in $1 donation for the Missionary Childhood Association (The money collected will specifically help provide food, clothing, shelter, and education for children in need.)
Thursday, October 18, 2018 .
1. Spelling -
2. Reading -
3. Math -
4. Tomorrow is a 12:20pm dismissal. You may bring in a snack and a drink, however, HSA will be providing a sweet treat, as well. If you attend After Care, please bring in a lunch and a drink for yourself to eat there.
Friday, October 19, 2018 - Blue Ribbon Celebration Day! 12:20pm Dismissal
1. Correct, sign, and return all tests in your test folder on Monday.
2. Reading - Read for 15 minutes each night from a book of your choice.
3. Math - Practice your math facts for timed drill on November 1.
PARENTS: Please allow your child to bring any books they brought home, back to school the following day. We will begin sending books home to have you cover them with clear contact or liner paper, however, we will use the same books the following day. Students should always return to school with their homework book, homework folder and any workbooks or readers they brought home the night before. Any books you were unable to cover, we will send back another night for you to do so. Thank you!