WELCOME TO 1B!
With Mrs. Tortorici / Mrs. Colangelo
** Due to the high amount of students who have been sick, we woud like to continue to have students bring extra water rather than use the water fountains.the water fountains. Thank you and keep healthy! **
Parents - With the end of the year drawing near, we are dwindling down on our classroom supplies. If you are able to donate a box of tissues or a box of baby wipes, we would greatly appreciate it! Thank you for your help!
Tuesday, June 5, 2018
Reading - Complete Your Turn page 315.
Spelling - Complete and return worksheet. There will be no tests on the words given moving forward .
Math - P237, P238. **PLEASE RETURN THE BAG OF SHAPES TOMORROW WITH ALL OF THE SHAPES IN THEM**
Tomorrow is an 11AM dismissal for the 8th grade graduation. All students should be in full uniform.
Monday, June 4, 2018
Reading - Complete Your Turn page 303.
Spelling - Complete and return worksheet. There will be no tests on the words given moving forward.
Math - P235, P236.
1-B may dress down tomorrow. Please wear sneakers for gym tomorrow.
**Parents - The new lunch envelopes for June are going home today. Please note that June 14th is crossed out because it is our end of the year class party. Students will be given lunch by the teachers that day. Please do not order lunch on that day. **
1B Specials Schedule :
Monday - Art
Tuesday - Gym (wear gym uniform and sneakers)
Wednesday - Music
Thursday - Spanish
Friday - Digital Technology
If you need to contact me at any time, please call the main office, send a note in with your child, or email me at email@example.com .
- Please return your child’s lunch envelope even if you do not plan to order lunch. If you do not return your envelope, you will not get one back the following month.
- Please check your child’s pencil case each night to be sure that they have all of the supplies they need for the following day. This includes sharpening pencils. Thank You!
REMEMBER : Any book your child brings home must be returned to school the following day. This includes folders and pencil cases, too. Also, please remember to cover any workbook or notebook with clear/transparent contact or liner paper as soon as you can. We understand that it may be hard to find at the beginning of the school year, however, please do your best to cover and return the books as soon as you can.
PLEASE BE SURE TO CHECK THE WEBSITE FOR HOMEWORK.
ALL ASPECTS OF HOMEWORK SHOULD BE COMPLETED. STUDENTS ARE REMINDED DAILY OF WHAT HOMEWORK THEY HAVE, BUT I AM ASKING THAT THE PARENTS CHECK THAT THE CORRECT WORK IS DONE EACH NIGHT.
- Check your child’s homework every night . This year, all of the first grade homework will be written in their homework notebook and posted on our class webpage. If your child is absent or you are unsure of the homework for the day, I will be updating our class website with the daily assignments by 2:30pm. Please sign the appropriate HW pages, so that I know that you have viewed what your child’s homework was for that day. Even if your child attends After Care, please check to make sure the homework is completed and signed. Whether or not your child completed writing their homework assignment in the morning, please double check our website for any last minute updates or changes.
- Make sure your child has at least 3 sharpened pencils and an eraser for class each day. Use Habit 2 and begin with the end in mind! How can we plan and prepare our day without the proper tools? Be sure to check your child’s backpack for any supplies you may need to replenish throughout the week. It’s always good to keep a pencil case at home filled with the same supplies your child has at school.
- Remember to bring a nut-free snack to enjoy during the day. Remember: nut-free means not traces of nuts of any kind (almonds, hazelnuts, tree nuts, etc). Think Habit 7 and s harpen the saw with a balanced snack such a yogurt or fruit! Don’t forget to bring a fork or a spoon if you need it for snack or lunch!
- BIRTHDAYS — ** Due to the high amount of allergies in school and for the safety of our students, goodie bags for birthdays and holidays, both, inedible and edible, are not permitted unless authorized by the teacher. We will use an alternate way of celebrating these occassions such as with dress down, no homework passes, or a prize from the principal. Thank you! **
- Please make sure your child’s name is labeled on anything that is to be brought back and forth to school. Try writing it on a tag or inside pocket of the item to ensure an easier find if lost.
- Any money coming into school should have your child’s name on it, as well as how much money is being given and what it is for. Please put any money in a labeled envelope. Students (and teachers) are not always sure what the dollar bill in their folder is for if it isn’t labeled in an envelope...and post-its often fall off.
- Let your child know if there are any notes that need to be handed in so that no deadlines will be missed (notes for the teacher, main office, etc). This includes any change in transportation for the end of the day.
- SYNERGIZE!! We are all a team! — Positive reinforcement is important in making sure that each child knows that they can accomplish anything!!
*** If you need to change your child’s mode of transportation, please send a note in with your child, call the office, or email me. ***
I look forward to a fun and safe new school year!!
COIN SONG! https://youtu.be/3ARNqyQ0CuY
Students will begin writing their homework assignments in their Homework Notebooks. If your child cannot complete writing each of the assignments in their book, please refer to our class website to see the homework that will be given. If your child attends After Care, they staff will be given the homework so that your child may complete it. Please check and sign your child’s homework book and folder each night. You should, also, check the individual assignments completed to ensure that your child is completing the work with a basic understanding of the skill. If you feel that your child is struggling with something, please write a quick note so that I may know to review it with them.
We will begin the skills in our Reading and Math programs this week. Please be sure to read the directions carefully with your child when completing the corresponding homework. Please see below for some frequently asked questions regarding the homework your child will be completing.
Frequently Asked Questions
Students will be given a “Week at a Glance” in their homework book at the beginning of each reading week. Please use this as reference to see the skills that we will be covering that week. It includes spelling and sight words that your child will need to master, as well. This will be posted on our class website if your child misplaces this information.
- Students will be using the Your Turn Book in class and at home. Please complete only the pages assigned. There is no need to complete any pages that are not assigned. We will be incorporating the Smart Start pages in the Your Turn book (pages labeled “SS”) throughout the year that correspond to our units; however, we will be beginning our classwork and homework from page 1.
- Students will be completing work from the leveled readers that we will pull out from the Your Turn book. Please leave these booklets in your child’s folder until they are placed on the “to be LEFT at home” side of your child’s home folder. We will be using these booklets twice throughout the week and may be needed in class throughout the week.
- Students may bring home readers that we refer to as the Little Reader (Reading Writing Workshop) and Big Reader (Literature Anthology). Please be mindful that these texts are used each year and should be taken care of when brought home.
- Students will bring home the Go Math workbook to complete their homework in. We refer to this book as the Little Math Book. We will use the Big Math Book for classwork and independent practice.
- At the beginning of each reading week, students will be given a “pretest” for the new words that will be assigned that week. This is not given a grade, however, students will be marked correct or incorrect to show them which words they should be practicing throughout the week. Students will be expected to spell all words on the spelling test given at the end of the week (check the homework book and class website for the assigned test date).
Hello! My name is Pam Tortorici (pronounced tor-tor-ee-see) and this is my seventh year teaching first grade teacher at St. Thomas the Apostle for class 1-B! Your child is about to set off on journey through an amazing year, but it will be a little bit different from what you may have known from Kindergarten. Here are a few things to keep in mind to ensure that our year together is a successful one as a first grade leader at St. Thomas the Apostle …